Phil Gonshak, MPA, BS / Business Unit Leader
Summary of Qualifications
A seasoned administrative leader, Philip L. Gonshak has most recently served as the County Manager of Summit County, Colorado, after retiring as Police Chief in 2022. In his capacity as County Manager, Gonshak has been instrumental in overseeing comprehensive county operations, fostering inter-departmental collaboration, and ensuring fiscal responsibility, capitalizing on his years of governance and public administration experience.
Before transitioning to county management, Gonshak built an illustrious career in law enforcement, beginning in 2000 at the Tempe, Arizona, Police Department. There, he took on roles such as Patrol Officer, Field Training Officer, and SWAT Operator/Sniper. In 2007, he joined the Seal Beach Police Department, where his wide range of assignments included serving as a Patrol Officer, Operations Commander, and SWAT operator. His leadership in regional collaboration was evident as he served as the West Orange County SWAT Team Commander, a role he held until his promotion to Chief of Police in 2019. This team served five cities in Orange County, California, including Seal Beach, Cypress, Fountain Valley, Los Alamitos, and Westminster.
Gonshak holds a Bachelor’s Degree of Science in Business Administration, a Master’s Degree in Public Administration, and a California POST Executive Management Certificate—all from California State University, Long Beach (CSULB). Further adding to his qualifications, he is a graduate of various leadership programs, such as the Sherman Block Supervisory Leadership Institute’s Class #384, the Los Angeles Police Department’s West Point Leadership Program, the California POST Executive Development Course, and the FBI National Academy’s Class #260. In addition to his administrative and law enforcement roles, Gonshak also contributes to academia as an Adjunct Professor at the Graduate Center of Public Policy and Administration (GCPPA) at CSULB and at the Administration of Justice College at Long Beach City College (LBCC).
Professional Development & Education
- Harvard Kennedy School – Senior Executives in State and Local Governments
- Master of Public Administration (MPA)—California State University, Long Beach
- S. Business Administration—California State University, Long Beach
- County Manager, Summit County, Colorado, 2022–Present
- Chief of Police City of Seal Beach, Police Department, 2019–2022
- Adjunct Professor—Graduate Center for PPA, California State University, Long Beach, 2019–Present
- Adjunct Professor—Administration of Justice, Long Beach City College, 2020–Present
- Various ranks from Police Officer to Special Investigations Bureau (SIB) Detective—Tempe Police Department
- SWAT, Investigations, Detention Center, Public Information Officer, Internal Affairs, and extensive leadership experience
- Leader, facilitator, and decision maker for hundreds of incident debriefings, after-action reviews, post-incident reports, and detailed investigations.
- Author of both City of Seal Beach Succession Plan and Seal Beach Police Department’s Annual Strategic Planning Reports.
- Current Member, International Association Chiefs of Police